First and foremost, I miss you Alan Rickman, rest in peace. Casting him as Severus Snape was one of the best decisions the HP movie production company has made. Alan Rickman passed away this month last year, and I remember being extremely upset upon hearing the news.
Onto my analysis of this chapter.
Snape didn’t like Harry. That was a given. But now we know there was more to that. And yes, that may be the understatement of the
At the start-of-term banquet, Harry had gotten the idea that Professor Snape disliked him. By the end of the first Potions lesson, he knew he’d been wrong. Snape didn’t dislike Harry – he hated him.
I’ll keep this short and quick again – also because this chapter was rather short as well. Here are my notes – adapted from the rapid logging concept of bullet journaling.
- “There were a hundred and forty-two staircases at Hogwarts: wide, sweeping ones; narrow, rickety ones; some that led somewhere different on a Friday; some with a vanishing step half-way up that you have to remember to jump.” – Umm, what!? Who built Hogwarts? Seems really amusing to think about though. You’d wonder how the students (looking at you, Neville) managed to deal with that.
- Filch knew the secret passageways of the school better than anyone (except perhaps the Weasley twins) and could pop up as suddenly as any of the ghosts. – Except also the Marauders! Little bits like this make me really giddy because who would have thought it would be further explained/expanded later on in the series.
- Also Filch as Walder Frey. I can’t ever unsee it now…
- Peeves the Poltergeist. Yeah, he kinda sucks. I don’t miss him in the movie adaptation.Like, at all.
- It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling (the same way it did when I first read this bit) when Hagrid sent Harry a letter. He knew Harry was going to feel left out not getting any mail while everyone around him did. He could have just invited Harry for tea in person, but he sent him a letter so Harry will have something to open too like the rest of the kids. So yeah, good guy Hagrid. :’)
- The Hogwarts Points System. How is this shit allowed lol? And shouldn’t there be some committee monitoring this? Snape clearly abused it by taking points away from Gryffindor for literally no reason at all and giving points to Slytherin just for the heck of it.
- I’ve always liked Hagrid’s hut. I wouldn’t want to live there, but I always thought it would be a good hangout place.
I gotta keep up with this posts! I’m almost done with the reread of the first book!