I finally did it! I just baked a rather decent loaf of bread.
I wasn’t planning on baking tonight, but I thought I’d try it since I had some overly ripe bananas just chilling on the counter. Rather than waste them, I thought I’d turn them into some delicious [healthy] baked treats.
Also, I didn’t want my past baking mishaps (AKA The Saddest Loaf Ever) to dampen my baking spirits.
Thus, I forged ahead and made some banana bread. I found a recipe online (on Pillsbury’s website for crying out loud), and made some substitutions. It was already a healthier banana bread version, but I decided to skip the oil and nuts and add in some mini chocolate chips. I did add both brown sugar and honey, and honestly, I could have done with either one of those – not both. I’d probably just use honey next time.
I couldn’t be more pleased with the results :). I actually ate a slice for dinner with some hot chocolate while watching Home Alone! I know, adulting done right! I really do enjoy baking (despite the fails). It’s a rather pleasant way to spend an evening, especially after quite a busy Monday at work and first day of running for the week.
It was moist and tender and a little toasted around the edges – just the way I like it. My most favorite part? It’s only 154 calories per slice and 3.8 grams of fat. For the sake of comparison, Starbucks’ banana nut bread has a whopping 420 calories per slice and 21 grams of fat. Yikes! ( I use caloriecount.com’s recipe analyzer to calculate the calorie content of recipes I use including the substitutions I make).
Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Mini Chocolate Chips
Decadently fluffy and sweet with a chocolatey crumb, I found my perfect healthy banana bread recipe!
Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices)
Serving size: 1 slice, 64 grams
Calories: 154 grams
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium bananas; the riper, the better)
- 6 oz Fat Free Greek Plain Yogurt (any flavor should work. I happen to have a Banana Pudding flavor kind)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 5 tbsp Mini Chocolate Chips (Divided into 3 tbsp and 2 tbsp)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in the mashed bananas, yogurt, honey, melted butter, vanilla, and beaten eggs just until combined. Fold in 3 tbsp of chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely for 30 minutes to an hour before slicing.