After work today, I did some grocery shopping and decided to get some whole wheat flour so I can make my own whole wheat pancake mix. I’ve been using a box mix, but I’ve resolved to make my own since it’s fairly easy to make anyway, and I’ve been on such a pancake kick the past couple of weeks; I enjoy making a big batch every weekend and having it as a quick breakfast or snack throughout the week.
After putting away the groceries and finishing my run for the day, I checked the fridge and saw a carrot that was sitting in my “Eat Me Soon” bin. I had whole wheat flour, a bag of mini chocolate chips, and some spices, so might as well bake some carrot chocolate chip muffins! I love carrot cake, so I thought carrot muffins would be a welcome alternative.
Since I’ve been trying to opt for healthier options, I’ve found a carrot muffin recipe that wouldn’t make me feel like “Ugh, I’m never going to fit into my jeans if I keep eating this” kind of guilt attached to it. With eating healthier, I rarely go for store-bought muffins anymore since they’re full of sugar and fat, which is not the very best for you. But I love bread (and muffins, too!) so I’m not just going to totally give them up!
As I was making the muffins, I had some issues with the yogurt I had on hand, so I added some ingredients that the recipe didn’t call for. The original recipe I found also didn’t need any chocolate chips, but I do what I want because I love chocolate! 😀 I’m happy to report that the muffins came out great and my apartment smells really good right now! 🙂
Whole Wheat Carrot Chocolate Chip Muffins
Perfectly moist, generously spiced, healthy carrot chocolate chip muffins – the perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack.
Yield: 16 Muffins
Serving size: 1 muffin (62 grams)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup baked apple yogurt (this is what I had on hand, but you can use a regular kind)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and shredded – you can use a cheese grater
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the tins of a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, oil, honey, vanilla, and orange juice. Fold in the shredded carrots. Stir in the egg and the almond milk.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the chocolate chips and gently stir to incorporate them. Leave a little so you can sprinkle some on top of the muffins.
5. Use an ice scream scoop to divide the batter into the muffin pan – about 2 1/2 tablespoons. Sprinkle some chocolate chips.
6. Bake about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool for about 5 minutes in their tins, then carefully remove and place onto a wire rack to cool completely.